Sacred Heart School of Loretto, Tennessee, was started in September 1872 when students were taught in the frame church building. In September 1876, the Sisters of the Precious Blood were sent to Loretto. In 1904, these nuns were forced by poverty to return to their motherhouse. In October 1907, Reverend Kempheus, having completed a large frame building, appealed to St. Bernard Convent in Nashville, Tennessee, for nuns. Sacred Heart School reopened on October 22, 1907, staffed by Sisters of Mercy. In 1946, a new modern brick building was built. His Excellency Most Reverend W. L. Adrian solemnly blessed the new building on December 8, 1947. In 1963, a multipurpose gym was constructed behind the school building. In 1994, the Sisters of Mercy withdrew from Sacred Heart School. A Catholic lay faculty then staffed the school. From the fall of 1997 through the spring of 1999, the Sisters of the Sacred Heart from Kerala, India, sent a nun to teach religion in the school. Since their withdrawal in 1999, Sacred Heart School has been staffed with a primarily Catholic lay faculty. In 2003 – 2004, the gymnasium and cafeteria complex was renovated. In 2004 – 2005, a Parish Life Center was constructed and dedicated. A Pre-Kindergarten Program was launched in January 2007 for Sacred Heart School. A Kindergarten Program was added in August 2007.
Our vision throughout the years has been to foster a deeply rooted Catholic education to the youth of our parish. Sacred Heart School is the center of our parish life and activities. The parish has taken up the challenge of preparing our younger members to grow up to become Christians true to their vocations. This foundation Christian formation is the best education any parish can offer its younger members.
Sacred Heart School has a great ongoing tradition, which is fueled by the commitment and the dedication of the staff, the cooperation of the parents, and the generosity of the parishioners of Sacred Heart Catholic Church. He who is Light, Life, and Truth is with us.